[M3devel] syscall wrappers, m3gc and cm3..

Dragiša Durić dragisha at m3w.org
Fri Apr 20 09:25:38 CEST 2007

While maintaining our spinoff pm3 version, I've cleaned most of syscall
wrapper needs from library source. Problem during early m3core
development was, most probably, unclean situation about where and how C
library will be invoked and someone decided to play safe, and to wrap
all syscalls implied by used library calls to be fully safe.

Across m3core and libm3, number of these low level, C library calls is
really small. File I/O, socket I/O, filesystem operations... make a big
majority of them (more than 98%). As all of these low level C lib calls
these were easily identifiable (few grep's), I've cleaned them without
much problems and after that, I've eliminated wrapper by wrapper. At
this moment, I think none is present in our in-house m3 env. As time
permits, and unless none else makes these steps, I will repeat them for
CM3.

I know answer to this following question is hidden somewhere in
archives, but as my previous questions has shown - it can be hidden very
deep :). So, can someone highlight current m3gc and syscall wrappers
situation for me? How do I build CM3 WITH most extensive GC available at
the moment?

dd

P.S. Big thanks to Tony Hosking for LD_POINTER_GUARD! As I have many
Modula-3 apps in production use, this was very big issue for me.
--
Dragiša Durić <dragisha at m3w.org>