[M3devel] ROOT undefined

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Jan 15 16:56:37 CET 2007

On Mon, January 15, 2007 4:21 pm, Rodney M. Bates wrote:
> I did a fresh checkout of cm3 from CVS and did a couple of rounds of
> do-cm3-min.sh and do-cm3-core.sh,  build and ship.  Then I tried to
> compile a small test program, with this result:
>
> [rodney at selkirk cm3]$ cm3
> --- building in LINUXLIBC6 ---
>
> "/usr/local/cm3/pkg/libm3/src/bundleintf/bundle-ov.tmpl", line 4: quake
> runtime error: undefined
> variable: ROOT
>
> --procedure--  -line-  -file---
> _import_template       4
> /usr/local/cm3/pkg/libm3/src/bundleintf/bundle-ov.tmpl
> _import_template       4
> /usr/local/cm3/pkg/libm3/src/bundleintf/bundle-ov.tmpl
> import            269  /usr/local/cm3/pkg/libm3/LINUXLIBC6/.M3EXPORTS
> include_dir         8  /home/rodney/proj/m3/exp/format5/cm3/src/m3makefile
>                      4
> /home/rodney/proj/m3/exp/format5/cm3/LINUXLIBC6/m3make.args
>
> Fatal Error: package build failed
> rm m3make.args
> cd ..
> [rodney at selkirk cm3]$ more
> /usr/local/cm3/pkg/libm3/src/bundleintf/bundle-ov.tmpl
> if defined("M3BUNDLE")
>    _M3BUNDLE = M3BUNDLE
> else
>    _M3BUNDLE = format(ROOT & SL & "m3-tools" & SL & "m3bundle" & SL & "%s" &
>                       SL & "m3bundle", BUILD_DIR)
>    M3BUNDLE = _M3BUNDLE
> end
>
> FWIW, I backed up but did not clean out /usr/local/cm3 before building.

This has been there for many years; the else part should only be used
if you are compiling with overrides. Using the scripts in cm3/scripts,
ROOT will always be defined then. I cannot really explain what is going
wrong with the given information; it may be your installation is
broken, or maybe Jay Krell has accidentally changed something with his
attempt to use only relative paths for Windows environments. The command
line above seems to indicate that you are _not_ using overrides, so
m3bundle should be expected in e.g. /usr/local/cm3/bin/m3bundle.

Olaf
--
Olaf Wagner
elego Software Solutions GmbH, Berlin, Germany