[M3devel] trouble installing on a Debian lenny system.

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Wed Apr 9 14:29:12 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:05:49AM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:
>
> >On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 01:00:20AM +0000, Jay wrote:
> >>Right.
> >>This is a normal symptom of using an "old" compiler to compile
> >>current source.
> >>You must first build a new compiler against an old runtime (which
> >>you must get from "somewhere", such as an existing older install),
> >>then use that to build a new runtime.
> >>
> >>  scripts/upgrade.sh
> >>  scripts/python/upgrade.py
> >>  scripts/win/upgrade.cmd
> >>
> >>should all handle the "dance" for you.
> >>
> >> - Jay
> >
> >Except I don't *have* a working old runtime.  I've mentioned my
> >experiences with
> >../cm3-min-POSIX-LINUXLIBC6-d5.7.0-2008-04-08-14-00-05.tgz
> >in another post.  I acquired it in the hope that it wouldn't be an old
> >runtime.
>
> Three short notes:
>
>  o cminstall didn't find the non-existent libraries, it just checked
>    the existence of a directory:
>
>      checking for library files in directory /usr/local/lib... not found
>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>      checking for directory /usr/lib... found
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That explains the messages.  Thanks.

>  o Your compiler didn't have LONGINT support, so you need to use
>    upgrade.sh. This should be documented (I think it is), as the
>    introduction of LONGINT was an incompatible change wrt.
>    bootstrapping.

I was doing a new install.  The first installation (the stable
release obtained from the .tgz archives) crashed.  I was advised to use
the latest version from cvs, which failed because of the LONGINT
problem and the fact I was still using the old cminstall file for
bootstrapping.  Finally I found a new place to get a new cminstall, and
that one finally worked.

>  o cm3-min-POSIX-LINUXLIBC6-d5.7.0-2008-04-08-14-00-05.tgz
>    should contain a new compiler and a new runtime, so there's
>    no need for bootstrapping cm3, only normal package compilation.

And this should be documented somewhere on the installation and download
pages, which is what a beginner sees.  A beginner, who wasn't already
sold on the virtues of Modula 3, would have given up long before I did.

>    Realclean is required though to remove old derived files.

That's something I hadn't heard of.  It looks useful.  Where is it
documented?

-- hendrik