[M3devel] "target specific pragmas"?

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Wed Feb 13 19:04:15 CET 2008

I haven't tried building it on any form of Windows in a long time,
but m3gdb accepts unmangled Modula-3 variable (and procedure and type)
names, starting with a module or interface name and supplying a fully-
qualified path outside-in with procedure names and anonymous block
numbers.  Or, if you are stopped at a spot in the code, it will look up
unqualified, unmangled names using the language's scope rules from the
current point.  (Hence my concern about having static links stored.)
 From there, you can put on additional qualifiers.

Naming executable points in the code (e.g. to set breakpoints) works
similarly, although that is somewhat different, and obviously, variable
names aren't meaningful here.

It doesn't accept paths in the filesystem, though.  I'm not sure I think
that would be a good idea, as it is really mostly finding things in the
executable program, not the source code.

It also doesn't find constant or exception names, as these currently produce
no debug information.

Perhaps it is time for me to modify the m3gdb web page, and also see if
m3gdb can be built in Windows.

Jay wrote:

> gdb has all wierded out variable names for one thing.
> And I think we should fix it so that that the symbols have full source
> paths.
> I realize they would only be correct on one machine, and hopefully
> there's a decent story for copying the files.
> Yeah, I know about "dir" but haven't yet formed a .gdbinit or whatnot.

Rodney M. Bates, retired assistant professor
Dept. of Computer Science, Wichita State University
Wichita, KS 67260-0083
316-978-3922
rodney.bates at wichita.edu