[M3devel] m3devel email truncation

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Dec 7 15:27:14 CET 2009

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> Here are two ways to get email truncated:
>
> 1) have a line that contains only a period; I noticed that
>
> happened to Tony not long ago, and I can make it happen deliberately.
>
> 2) Have a period in column 76.
>
> It happened to me in an email about autoflush and I can also
> make that happen deliberately. Beyond column 76 is ok.
>
> Olaf had mentioned it being something about periods.

A period alone on a line is an ancient convention for EOF (from the ages
when terminals with serial lines connected via 2400 or 9600 baud were
in common use). The mail servers here at NSN do the same thing still
(ignore everything after a period :-).

I don't think it is required by any standard (though I'm not sure here),
and I assume it is buried deep in one of our filters/scripts/scanners
which process the mails. So it may not be easy to locate.

I'm not sure why column 76 should be special, though one could assume
that's where wrapping text occurs so that the period is in column one
on the next line.

> Perhaps I should be sure to yell! or be uncertain? :)

No need to yell; Mike will do his best. He's got many other tasks though...

Olaf