[M3devel] [M3commit] FW: move to version 5.7.1?

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Tue Jan 20 22:04:34 CET 2009

I like the Scheme interpreter idea.  I think Modula-3 partially refutes
the oft-repeated argument that every programming language has a narrow
range of suitability.  Among the imperative languages, there's not a lot
around that can beat it, even for specific application areas.  Builtin
complex and non-integer fixed-point arithmetic are about the only things
I can think of.

But the functional languages are an area Modula-3 doesn't cover.  Actually,
you can write a lot of code in functional style in Modula-3, including, I
think, some polymorphic stuff, but it's syntactically an awfully lot more
ponderous than in a traditional functional language.  With a true functional
language tied into the implementation, we could claim very broad coverage.