[M3devel] M3Config contains paths to installation directory.

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 16 04:46:35 CEST 2009

1) I do wonder if this is what PKG_USE vs. PKG_INSTALL is but not sure.

2) You can achieve your goal easily anyway?
Like, stick -R/usr/local/lib in the right place? Appropriately generalized?
That is -- introduce another variable, DESTDIR?
I content that we have significant/complete control of all the config files, so you can feel able to go into m3-sys/cminstall/src/config-no-install and sprinkle like DESTDIR="/usr/local/cm3" into all the files, or just into cm3cfg.common.

3) Can you just avoid knowing it?

> libm3/src/config

Hm. Maybe we examine it, deem it "problematic", and reduce or remove its functionality, such as to eliminate your problem? Assume there aren't many users and watch for the fallout?

Or maybe, and again, I have to look at it, but maybe whatever data is exposed here can be computed at runtime instead of build-time, assuming dynamic linking to libm3core.so?
In Windows it is easy enough for some code at runtime to gets the path to the file (.exe, .dll) it is in.

Other systems?

So I think, using that, this interface can generate the data at runtime instead of build-time.
Which may or maybe be what you want -- the "official " or "default" install location, or the actual "current" location?