[M3devel] RC3, RC4?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Sep 3 20:32:27 CEST 2009

Hi again,

I'm about to leave for my holidays and will be back again on
September 22. I probably won't be able to check my email for about
two weeks, nor will I further the CM3 release engineering in this time.

For 5.8 RC3, packages for most target platforms have been built and are
available on www.opencm3.net. But there is a possibly critical problem
described in ticket #1070, which may make it necessary to rebuild all
packages (which should then be named RC4).

I trust that Jay and Tony and anybody else who is interested track
down the problem and fix it, and update tickets and roadmap
at https://projects.elego.de/cm3/roadmap appropriately.
I hope to see a usable set of packages at my return :-)

I'll have a look at my mail again later tonight and tomorrow
morning, but won't do much more concerning CM3 now.

If anybody wants to go on and build RC4, here is what should be
done:

  1. Apply the tag release_CM3_5_8_RC4 to an appropriate and
     consistent configuration in CVS containing all needed fixes.

  2. Update cm3/scripts/version to 5.8.4 etc.

  3. Insert the tag as default into scripts/make-dist.sh (optional).

  4. Build installation packages on all target platforms, most easily
     done via the makedist-jobs in
     http://hudson.modula3.com:8080/view/makedist/.

  5. When the packages are available, they should be tested with
     http://hudson.modula3.com:8080/view/test-install/. Of course,
     all regression test results available at
     http://hudson.modula3.com:8080/
     should be examined before the build.

  6. Update the release documentation in cm3/www/releng and
     cm3/www and install this on birch.elegosoft.com.

If anybody needs access to Hudson or Trac, please refer to
admins at elego.de; Kay, Mike or Michael will help you.

That's it for now,

Olaf