[M3devel] Integer overflow

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Tue Jan 12 01:25:37 CET 2010

If the type were INTEGER instead of cardinal, (and assuming no checking for overflows),
I think wrapping around to the maximal negative value would be reasonable.  Even for
CARDINAL, it's reasonable for the arithmetic operation itself (which is really being
done in the full INTEGER range).  But then the assignment of the result back to the
CARDINAL variable really must do a range check.  This derives from the assignment
x:= ... in the WITH equivalent, not from the + 1 operation.

Mainly, there is a pervasive principle in the safety of the language that you can
never get a bit pattern stored in a variable that does not map back to an abstract
value of its type.  We really need to preserve this.