[M3devel] platform-independent kill process

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Feb 21 07:49:08 CET 2011

Quoting "Coleburn, Randy" <rcolebur at SCIRES.COM>:

> Olaf:
>
> If the regression tests are written in Modula-3, why not use Network
>  Objects to provide an interface that can be called to tell the
> program to stop?

Baucse that involves too many other sub-systems and components.
I'd like to keep the requirements for tests limited. When we test such
basic things like threading, we shouldn't have to assume that the
network subsystem and RPC are working well, too.

> This would be a "graceful" shutdown mechanism, rather than just
> killing the process at the OS level.

I'm not sure that it would work in the presence of threading problems,
but I may be mistaken there.

> I've used this technique before with other types of programs.

Nothing speaking against that, if your application needs all the
functionality anyway.

However, I think M3 should support a basic mechanism on process level.

Olaf