[M3devel] Think we need a new release.

m3 at sol42.com m3 at sol42.com
Fri Feb 10 22:50:13 CET 2012

On 10 Feb 2012, at 15:14, Vintage Coder wrote:
> What is the purpose of a new release? A compiler and runtime that work presumably only need fixes.

Agreed.  I can think of two reasons: adding "must have" stuff to the standard library, and fixing bugs or improving library, compiler, or runtime.  Note that "must have" should probably be evaluated in the context of systems programming, which is what Modula-3 is for.

Even adding new platforms should not require bumping the version number if it is the existing infrastructure that is being ported.

There are loads of "greatest next thing" languages out there that you have to re-learn every few releases.  Modula-3 is thankfully not one of them.  Want new stuff in the language?  Then you want Modula-3+ or Modula-4.

Regards.
-Daniel