[M3devel] m3cgc1: fatal error: *** bad M3CG version stamp (0x100), expected 0x110

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 1 10:53:00 CEST 2015

make-dist makes everything.

It makes a "min" distribution and an "all" distribution.
Hopefully you can read it through it makes semi-reasonable sense.

This is all my doing -- which is to say, I quite like it,
but not necessarily anyone else.

min as I recall, is just the compiler: cm3, cm3cg, mklib, config, m3core, libm3
 (mklib is only for NT386 target, but it is small and innocuous)

all is everything, including min

I don't like the confusion and purported complexity of breaking
things down into several medium sized packages, with dependencies.

I want more of a "one stop shop", granted, a big one, that
gives everyone stuff they won't use.

But I compromised and it makes to things.

It makes roughly speaking .tar.gz files.
Or .zips for some targets.
Or compresed tar, depending on what compressor it can find, and bundles
them into .deb files. But .deb files are little more than .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 or .tar.xz

upgrade.sh also builds everything

When I wrote it to upgrade.py I missed that significant aspect, and it only builds the compiler.
Perhaps I should rename it to upgrade-min.py and then have upgrade-all.py.

You can mimic upgrade.sh with ugprade.py && do-cm3-all.py realclean skipgcc && do-cm3-all.py buildship
(skipgcc is just an optimization to avoid some duplicate work)

I never use any of the .sh files.
I found them to hard to understand and not portable enough.
i.e. I'd rather install Python on Windows than Cygwin.
I suspect Bourne shell is just not worth learning to program in.

I had rewritten them in .cmd for Windows, but wanted one set of scripts.

cvs is pretty awful.
I'm still more productive in it than git, but I expect that will change.
But ok. cvsup can work. The error is for a trivial thing.

 - Jay