[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Fri Aug 15 02:11:19 CEST 2008

Jay:

There is the abstraction of multiple concurrent "readers" but only one "writer".  I actually have such a module that I use sometimes in my programs.  The idea is one of acquiring/releasing read locks and write locks.  The difficulty here is in preventing starvation and usually requires adherence to some rules (again rigor).  By starvation I mean that writers must wait for all readers to finish before they get access, so if there is always at least one reader, the writer will "starve" and never gain access.

As for recursive locks, again that is usually indicative of a design flaw.  I did once implement a system that permitted the same thread to acquire a lock multiple times, provided that it eventually released the lock the same number of times that it acquired it.  In other words, after the first lock, subsequent locks by the same thread just increment a counter.  Then, unlocks decrement the counter until it is zero with the final unlock actually releasing the mutex.

In the code you modified, you could implement such a scheme to handle the recursive locks, provided that at some point the thread releases for each lock.  The Thread interface has the ability to note the current thread (i.e., Thread.Self()).  So you could make a stack of locks by same thread.  Other threads would have to block until the first thread's lock stack was empty.

For example:

ACQUIRE:  If resource available, lock resource mutex and put current thread on granted stack.  Otherwise, if current thread already on granted stack, push it on stack again and let it proceed.  Otherwise (this is a new thread wanting access), so push this thread onto a waiting stack and wait.

RELEASE:  Pop granted stack and check to ensure the popped stack entry represents the current thread.  If not, must crash due to a programming error.  If granted stack is now empty, check to see if the waiting stack is empty.  If the waiting stack is empty, release the resource mutex.  Otherwise (there is at least one thread waiting), pop waiting stack and push onto granted stack.  Repeat pop/push for each occurrence of current thread at top of waiting stack.  Allow waiting thread to proceed.

I can check into providing my read-write locks modules if needed.

Regards,
Randy

>>> Jay <jay.krell at cornell.edu> 8/14/2008 6:08 PM >>>

Maybe we should have another lock type that allows recursive acquires?
To be used sparingly, but used here?
I know that is often frowned upon -- the need for it implies a design flaw -- but
maybe it is ok sometimes?
I don't understand when/why recursive locks are ok or not.

- Jay