[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Tue Dec 16 20:33:27 CET 2008

This new file FilePosixC.c does not build on my SOLgnu Tinderbox
setup, so the regressions failed last night.

Jay, this is precisely the reason that we don't want to have C-coded
files in the Modula-3 code-base -- C might proclaim its portability
but that portability is a lie.  Why do we need this when the old pure
Modula-3 setup worked just fine!  I know it meant some amount of
duplication, but that duplication was needed because of differences in
API specs on different platforms.  I am not averse to having
*portable* C code, but in this case I think it is too low-level to be
properly portable.  Perhaps better to keep it in Modula-3.