[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Tue Feb 12 19:00:39 CET 2008

The C stuff is not intended to expose a full C API to Modula-3
programmers.  It is there mostly for bridging to C-based libraries,
particularly platform-specific functionality for platforms that are
implemented in C.  Some of that bridging is done in the OS-specific
unix subdirectories and some in the C subdirectories.  Choosing where
to put that bridge code is a matter of style I guess, but it should
probably be a matter of consensus among the developers of CM3.

So, do folks out there have any opinions on how to best structure
these bridging portions of m3core? I would argue for the minimum
needed to support core M3 functionality.  Jay seems to want to throw
everything including the kitchen sink into the core libraries.  I
would argue that doing so makes the job of maintaining and porting
Modula-3 a little more onerous.