[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 11:51:43 CET 2008

Really I'm aware of most/all of these issues and some of it, sorry, I forgot.
  I forgot that one of Modula-3's (few) strengths, it was ahead of its time, and now everything else except C and C++ have caught up (e.g. Java, C#), is that it easy to parse and easy to build other tools that parse it, instead of the compiler being the only tool by far that understands the language, and be incapable of providing everyone's feature, so you are left with a shortage of functionality, esp. that full works (class browsers and such).

I do rather think the situation is already slightly broken in this regard though.
That is, there are already generated source files. So either every tool has to know quake (not), or there has to be a place to go to get "the Modula-3 source" and "the Modula-3 source before running quake". I rather suspect this is the package store...except dependency on shipping probably very not good. Perhaps perhaps it is a very simple minimal search algorithm -- look in BUILD_DIR first? Perhaps such tools tend to be able to ignore what they can't find or understand??

And, if I /really/ wanted this feature (not), I would suggest (rather than merely mention :) ) the idea that whenever there was "target preprocessing", the compiler would be obligated to output a "preprocessed" file into BUILD_DIR.
(This reminds, Metrowerks IDEs have a feature, right click on a file and select "preprocess". It is sorely missing in Visual Studio..it'd also be nice to have a batch mode -- build everything and while you are it, save preprocessed versions of everything, maybe in a compressed tokenized form viewable in the IDE unless I ask for plain text for plain tools)

I didn't realize the subtley of pragmas limited affect, though I think it's still debatable.
I think it'd be reasonable for other language tools to be confused about the nonexistance of implementations of <*extern*> functions.

 - Jay