[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Aug 3 04:40:06 CEST 2009

I didn't realize that. Maybe we should enable-bootstrap in some cases? (and let fixincludes/libgcc build?)
I happen to have deliberately emptied my .profile file, to try to isolate things from any of my customizations, which leads to cc being in the default $PATH but not gcc.
Granted, there might have a default .profile that was a litte "better".
I don't even have ar and as in $PATH now (no /usr/ccs/bin, jus /usr/bin).

Or maybe user is responsible for having a new enough gcc, and in $PATH, and m3makefile should just
 if not equal(try_exec("type gcc 2>/dev/null", 0))
    error("no gcc in $PATH")
 end
 if not equal(try_exec("type ar 2>/dev/null", 0))
    error("no ar in $PATH")
 end

and be done? Granted, it could also cc -v | grep -i gnu or something.

You know..sometimes gcc isn't so easy to build from a bare system with vendor cc.
(see attached rigamarole I was working on for Irix and AIX; HP-UX is also painful, since the bundled compiler is only K&R and you have o first use it to build gcc 3.3 or 3.4, goal being to get up to a current gcc, not just an adequate gcc for cm3cg; you run into problems like vendor make can't build out of tree, so you have to build GNU make; vendor tar can't extract the full gcc tree due to @LongLink, so you have to build GNU tar, but vendor cc can' build GNU tar, so you build just gcc-core first, and also that vendor cc slightly miscompiles GNU make (never tracked that down) such that the first gcc is only partly working, use that to rebuild make and then rebuild gcc-core, and then tar, and then full gcc, something like that...)

 - Jay