[M3commit] log messages for committed changes

Randy Coleburn rcolebur at scires.com
Fri Jun 26 18:24:47 CEST 2009

Hey, I've seen several of these type messages (see below).  My question is "WHY"?  Just to state that it doesn't need to be standalone begs the question why was it made standalone in the first place and what is the reason why it no longer needs to be that way.

Maybe this is part of a larger rant on my part, but when folks commit changes, I would encourage everyone to provide some rationale and detail in the log message.

There are few people like Olaf and Tony that have enough perspective with the whole system to be able to look at the details of what was changed and try to reverse something that goes against core principals or that will cause problems elsewhere.  For the rest of us, and for documentation of the system evolution, it is important that the log messages be as detailed as possible, at least to give the rationale why a change is being made.  I know documentation is not glamorous and doesn't directly affect the code, but it is nonetheless important, and if done well can be a real benefit.

Thanks for listening.  I'll step down off my soapbox now.

Regards,
Randy Coleburn

>>> Jay Krell <jkrell at elego.de> 6/26/2009 10:12 AM >>>
CVSROOT:/usr/cvs
Changes by:jkrell at birch.09/06/26 10:12:42

Modified files:
cm3/m3-sys/m3cgcat/src/: m3makefile

Log message:
This doesn't need to be standalone.