[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Jay Krell jkrell at elego.de
Sat Jun 27 06:30:32 CEST 2009

	cm3/scripts/python/: make-dist.py pylib.py
Added files:
	cm3/scripts/python/: make-deb.py make-iexpress.py

Log message:
	first draft of code to create Debian and IExpress packages

	It is very minimal and feature-less, in particular
	there is only min and std, and they do overlap, so would
	require 'force' or somesuch to install. But this is easily
	fixed once the code is working -- it should consume the
	package breakdown Olaf recently developed.

	IExpress (iexpress.exe) is a builtin hybrid console/gui-wizard
	documented in MSDN, that builds self extracting installers.
	It creates a .cab inside an .exe.
	If you rename the .exe to .cab, Explorer does NOT understand it,
	but e.g. 7-zip does.
	Developer can provide an installer program that moves the files into
	place and/or a post-install program and/or an initial confirmation
	prompt and/or a done message, etc. Here we just have minimal for now.
	Later we might probe around for the compiler/linker, or maybe even
	run cminstall (but that somewhat bags for bringing back cygwin.dll/gzip.exe/tar.exe
	which seems like overkill, probably better is a mode of cminstall that just
	mucks the config file; but I'm actually hoping to migrate the environment
	variable probing in pylib.py into NT386, that should suffice, so continue
	to have no installer.)

	Key developments today:
	1) Every previous attempt to learn about Debian packaging landed me in
	a quagmire of reading about source based builds. Finally I found
	the pieces of how to make something that just installs binaries that
	are already built. Furthermore, there is no need to use any dpkg* tools,
	it is just tar, gzip, ar, and optionally bzip2/lzma, very easy, can
	be created on just about any host (er, then again, not without significant
	cross build improvements..)

	2) Discovered IExpress.

	Not yet tested, waiting for make-dist.py to finish to produce the input
	but constituent pieces verified so I could know that I know what I'm doing..

	Yet missing is RPM and BSD packaging.