[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Jay Krell jkrell at elego.de
Sun Jun 28 14:34:04 CEST 2009

	cm3/scripts/python/: pylib.py

Log message:
	work in progress / safe keeping: packaging for Windows

	IExpress examined, promising, for now and probably forever rejected.
	It appears to have a limit on the number files it can package.
	One could probably workaround with a hierarchical install.
	I don't remember, but this may have lacked an uninstall.
	Also IExpress appears to not like there to be multiple files
	with the same name, in the mode that extracts things in the
	original layout.

	Nullsoft examined, promising, for now rejected.
	The zip2exe functionality does not appear to be usable from
	the command line. The non-zip2exe functionality seems
	all a bit wierd..or at least inconvenient. I don't really
	want to design the GUI from scratch, nor via copy/paste.
	I don't remember but this may have lacked an uninstall.

	Caphyon Advanced Installer for making .msis, free version examined,
	very promising, rejected. Had a good uninstall. Had an
	easy way to prepend to $PATH. Rejected because while there
	is an underlying generatable text file, it doesn't appear
	to be documented what any/everything means in it, and
	while going through the exercise I ran into unclear parts.
	I do not want to be tied to a GUI app for building stuff.

	InnoSetup examined a while ago, promising, details forgotten.
	Should examine again.

	WiX 3.0 to produce an .msi examined and the current plan.
	It provides a few canned GUIs to chose from, each
	/slightly/ configurable. I wouldn't mind deleting the
	eula/license gui, but the text is replaceable and that
	should suffice. It provides uninstall. It provides
	shortcuts on the start menu.

	There are many other options. .msis can be built fairly
	easily/directly, but there remains the need to design the GUI.
	None is provided by default except maybe "please wait" while
	a non-interactive install goes through almost overly quietly
	and with no configurability. The WiX GUI is very amenable to
	easily providing a tree with each of Olaf's package sets and
	letting user pick/chose which he wants.