[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Jay Krell jkrell at elego.de
Mon Jun 29 18:31:37 CEST 2009

	cm3/scripts/: README backup-pkgs.sh pkginfo.sh pkginfo.txt
	              upgrade.sh

Log message:
	fixup package sets and platform filtering of packages

	fix_nl is a simple portable text file utility to convert newlines
	It is less needed on Posix platforms, but it builds and runs fine.
	On the other hand, it isn't important, relegate it to tool.

	import-libs does its own platform filtering,
	so remove the filtering here
	It is kind of important when it is used, and kind of unimportant.
	Generally most Win32 toolsets supercede it, with the exception that
	the older CM3 toolsets contain invalid versions of it which
	it replaces and some minimal (Express) toolsets are only a subset of it.
	While it is an interesting example of several programming techniques,
	it'll probably be removed in the next release.
	(Deleting the invalid files suffices as long as a decent toolset is
	in use.)

	mklib is only used when targeting NT386 and such, but is buildable
	and runnable on all hosts, so remove filtering here
	(on the other hand, cross bootstrapping doesn't use it currently,
	probably never will, since the goal is merely a standalone cm3 and
	no libs, so its importance is overstated;
	cross building if it evolves far could easily use something from
	GNU binutils instead, e.g. ld or dlltool;
	that is, it is important min/core/base for NT386 hosts/targets,
	but could be relegated to "tool" otherwise,
	but package sets aren't changable per platform, probably ok/good)

	libdump isn't used, relegate it to "tool"
	It was possibly used in the past, like when custom import libs
	were built
	(The above-mentioned invalid ones; import-libs just builds
	normal ones using the native linker.)

	m3staloneback is a command line driver for a subset of cm3, in normal
	situations you just use cm3, relegate it to "tool"

	m3cggen just outputs a generated .h file that is checked in and only
	changed when new IL forms are added, relegate it to "tool"
	(something like
	not-useful-to-most-people-but-it-is-somewhere-so-we-build-it would be
	good, that would be m3cggen, m3cgcat; and
	not-useful-to-anyone-at-all-likewise would
	be fix_nl (I use dos2unix) and libdump (redundant with link -dump))

	m3cgcat is largely redundant with cm3cg -y, but more informative, but
	only useful to people changing/debugging cm3cg (highly useful, to
	very few people), so relegate it to "tool"

	m3objfile is built for all platforms
	It used to be, I recall, that cm3 could either run cm3cg OR use the
	integrated backend but long ago I changed it to to either
	determined at runtime for some cross build functionality.