[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Jay Krell jkrell at elego.de
Sun Feb 28 10:48:01 CET 2010

	cm3/m3-sys/m3tests/src/: m3makefile

Log message:
	two improvements
	- zero sized file compare equal to missing files
	so we don't have to checkin all the little stdout.build, stderr.build files

	- allow for stuff like stdout.pgm-littleendian32,etc and running a test
	without and without -include-less-portable-output flag
	when the flag is omitted, comparison is done to stdout.pgm etc.
	when the flag is included, a somewhat target specific file is probed for
	Having "fully target specific" stdout.pgm-NT386 would prevent automatic
	comparison across targets, ok but not great, and is not allowed here

	you can have
	stdout.pgm32
	stdout.pgm64
	stdout.pgm-little_endian32
	stdout.pgm-little_endian64
	stdout.pgm-little_endian
	stdout.pgm-big_endian32
	stdout.pgm-big_endian64
	stdout.pgm-big_endian

	pick 2 or 4 of them (though again, big_endian64 is not well represented, and
	littleendian64 is only one architecture)

	TARGET_ENDIAN must be defined in the config files
	All the checked in ones have it.
	Really cm3 should set this, but things aren't run
	in the right order. Maybe later (much).

	p227 uses this to get additional coverage, but
	some others should use it too -- so that we don't
	probe for all tests, only the ones that need it,
	and maybe these test can get the -include-less-portable-output flag

	That is, we already have some word size specific tests, and so
	our default is to probe for all tests. This new feature
	runs specified tests with and without probing.

	mixed_portability_test() is the name of the new one, though I'm open to other names

	rename pb_test to build_flags_test
	rename pr_test to p_run_flags_test

	This will allow proceeding with less worry, more testing, changing the NT386
	insert/extract operations, for example, and gcc backend set_singleton/member,
	since we can get more testing coverage, don't have to be limited by
	full portability (though there is still a shortage of some variants,
	e.g. no working big endian 64bit and only one working little endian 64bit (AMD64)
	hopefully we can fill these gaps before much longer with MIPS64, SPARC64, PPC64, IA64)

	What is the difference between "cmp_file" and "compare_file".
	Someone should do source analysis, flag synonyms in the same context,
	and error, make the programmer use longer names...

	go ahead and combine run_test and run_test2, there aren't so many
	uses of each that it is so disruptive