[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Jay Krell jkrell at elego.de
Wed Jul 14 14:34:29 CEST 2010

	cm3/m3-sys/cminstall/src/config-no-install/: FreeBSD.common
	                                             FreeBSD4
	                                             I386_FREEBSD
	                                             gnuld.common

Log message:
	FreeBSD4: configure compiler/linker to adjust to older versions:
	older gcc doesn't like -m32, keep -m32 out if -m32 gives expected error
	Safe to always omit -m32?

	older gcc misinterprets -Bsymbolic, use -Wl,-Bsymbolic

	-Bsymbolic inhibits -lc, add -lc only upon expected link error
	Safe to always add -lc? Safe to omit -Bsymbolic, but it is a nice
	optimization. On the other hand, this optimization is costing a lot,
	extra compile/link for every link of a shared library.

	Alternatives include:
	gcc -v | fgrep 2.95
	uname -r | grep ^4
	do nothing, let users (Mika) edit the config files
	do similar to what we have, but less often