[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 4 19:16:35 CEST 2010

Unclear. I've also worked very hard at this and I believe it is in better shape than before.
Granted, some steps forward, some backward. But I think much more forward.

I'm using -O3.
Sometimes what I do is in parse.c I explicitly enable everything but setting all the flags.
  We should perhaps do that anyway, esp. for optimizations that don't take long and don't hurt debugging.

I suspect these two bugs were present back then, you just didn't hit them because:
  1) we didn't have the unused nested function?
  2) we didn't have cvsup?

I disabled very very little.
In trade, we don't throw around volatile all over the place.

I think if you look into it, things were broken back then just the same.
But we didn't have the code to tickle the bugs.

I would like to get back "unit at a time". That seems a good optimization wrt inlining and it is being disabled for something that should be easily fixable some other way.

vrp/fre/pre I don't know.
It'll take quite some debugging to fix those.
vrp produces bad code.
fre and/or pre crash in the compiler.

I'd also like to fix the volatile float problem. I've worked on that quite a bit too.
I tried to make loophole always go through a volatile temporary for example.
I tried making loophole go through a union.
No luck yet.
I guess I should see what:
  int a;
  float j;
  a = *(int*)&j;

does in C.

Notice that some of this is in the release branch. Where all I've done is test more code.
I didn't remove the volatility on all load/store for example.

 - Jay