[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 22 03:32:23 CEST 2010

I researched this -- searched the web, read Wikipedia, etc..I realize that calling "research" may be an exaggeration.
There are approximately four reasonable definitions of div and mod for negative numbers.

The most important thing is that div and mod are defined in terms of each other, in all variations, but that doesn't actually pin it down.

There is round up (toward positive infinity), round down (toward negative infinity), toward 0 (truncation), there is Euclidean way.

One might expect n mod m to be in the range [0,m), or perhaps the absolute value to be in [0,m), but I think Modula-3 doesn't make that so. It is surprising imho for mod to be outside that range.

C89 left it undefined. So implementor could pick whatever was fastest/easiest.
Fortran specified truncation. Nobody complained.
C99 adopted Fortran's definition.
So it is well defined now.
Negative numbers are overused anyway.
Everyone defines it the same for positive numbers, and that's generally sufficient anyway.

As well C's ldiv function was explicitly defined to be truncating and therefore portable.

(Notice that Modula-3's implementation was long broken for other reasons as well: It dependended on silent overflow, which gcc can warn about and break, and it didn't work for maximum/minimal numbers.)