[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun May 9 16:40:28 CEST 2010

Hi Jay,

Am 09.05.2010 um 14:29 schrieb Jay Krell:

> CVSROOT:	/usr/cvs
> Changes by:	jkrell at birch.	10/05/09 14:29:31
>
> Modified files:
> 	cm3/m3-sys/m3cc/src/: m3makefile
>
> Log message:
> 	downgrade all the i686 to i586
> 	that should work, we have a i586 user
> 	switch I386_SOLARIS, AMD64_SOLARIS from GNU assembler to SUN
> assembler
> 	There are tradeoffs either way. The gcc documentation recommends
> 	GNU assembler but says Sun assembler is almost as good. Sun assembler
> 	has been seen to reject the .stabd directive from -gstabs+, but -
> gstabs
> 	seems ok (it looks like gcc tries to not emit the .stabd for Sun
> 	asssembler, but maybe it fails?) GNU assembler seems to move around
> a bit.
> 	While Sun installs it to /usr/sfw/bin/gas, the opencsw machines don't
> 	have it there. (I should really look at my own stock install, so I
> know
> 	what csw changes vs. what Sun does.)

/usr/sfw is unbundled software, which can optionally be installed from
the
companion cd. I would recommend not to rely on it. As CSW provides
exactly
the same as what SFW does we have SFW not installed to avoid using these
by mistake. If possible use the Sun assembler or depend on GNU as as
external tool to be installed.

Best regards

   -- Dago