[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Nov 5 16:48:38 CET 2010

 > LLVM is well specified IR
Someone still has to read and understand the specification. :)

 > GCC IR being unspecified and prone to major changes at every minor release

I'm not sure of this.
Tony will know better, having done more upgrades of the backend.
I don't think our gcc backend has been much affected by it.
What we are affected by:
   - we add our own IR node for nested functions, and that was affected
    - our IR has never been well formed (even to this day!)
      The main problem is our use of overly low level and lacking types and typeful opertions (member references).
    - seemingly nobody has tried configure -enable-checking, made it work, kept it working
       This is still needed.

Granted, tree.h and tree.def might not be as good a specification as LLVM has.

> licensing

Understood.
Yeah, it bugs me we can't statically link.
Though the separate executable provides nice testability/debugability -- a separate entry point. :)

 > intent is to control through GPL

Agreed. :(