[M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Jay Krell jkrell at elego.de
Sat Oct 19 05:33:08 CEST 2013

	cm3/m3-sys/m3middle/src/: Target.i3 Target.m3
	./: Target.i3 Target.m3
	cm3/m3-sys/cminstall/src/config-no-install/: ARMEL_LINUX
	./: ARMEL_LINUX
	cm3/m3-sys/m3cc/src/: platforms.quake m3makefile
Added files:
	cm3/m3-sys/cminstall/src/config-no-install/: ARM_LINUX
	                                             ARM_LINUX.common
	./: ARM_LINUX ARM_LINUX.common

Log message:
	untested:
	repurpose ARMEL_LINUX to modern Raspberry Pi-compatible hardfloat, vfp, v6
	Debian's armhf is similar but v7
	add ARM_LINUX synonym

	The thinking would be, speculative, that there is just
	ARM_LINUX and it is little endian, vfp, hardfloat, v6
	ARMEL_LINUX is for temporary compatibility with Mika

	Abandon older big-endian and soft-float ARM.
	Not that much of our code knows the difference.

	Alternative proposal with broader support would be 3 targets:
	ARM_LINUX    big endian softfloat
	ARMEL_LINUX  little endian soft float
	ARMHF_LINUX  little endian hard float vfp v6 almost like Debian's armhf (they are v7)

	But again, almost none of this matters.
	Very little of our code is target-specific.
	Most of the target-specific code is #ifdef'ed C or separate C files.

	The frontend has the following little bits of target-specificy:
	jmpbuf size (there is a plan to remove it...)
	endian (and very little of it, could just act the same on both)
	word size (the hardest to do anything about)