[M3commit] [modula3/cm3] 4537cb: remove unused locals

Olaf Wagner wagner at elego.de
Tue Sep 1 10:44:28 CEST 2015

On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 07:15:32 +0000
Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Just git push, git pull, git commit.
>  - Jay
>

> Subject: Re: [M3commit] [modula3/cm3] 4537cb: remove unused locals
> From: hosking at purdue.edu
> Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 16:58:47 +1000
> CC: m3commit at elegosoft.com
> To: jay.krell at cornell.edu
>
> Jay, it appears that your commits are still messing up the history.
> As of your most recent commit we have lost history again.  What exactly are you doing when you use git against the repo?

Usually history is never really _lost_ in git, just hidden ;-)
A possible explanation is that the first and second parent get
switched due to merges. This link gives a good explanation of
what is often the reason:

http://devblog.nestoria.com/post/98892582763/maintaining-a-consistent-linear-history-for-git

You should bear in mind that git is really more like a tree
management software than a traditional version control system.
You can do almost anything with it, especially shoot your own foot.

Olaf
--
Olaf Wagner -- elego Software Solutions GmbH -- http://www.elegosoft.com
Geschäftsführer: Olaf Wagner | Sitz: Berlin