[M3devel] [pinozollo at gmail.com: Installation Problem]

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Wed Apr 18 18:15:58 CEST 2007

This symptom (works when statically linked, segfaults during startup when
using dynamic libraries) is, as I remember, the symptom of the problem with
changes in newer setjmp/longjmp that I posted about on January 11.

The newer setjmp/longjmp mangle and demangle a couple of the registers
(apparently to prevent some security exploit).  When used as a pair, the
change is harmless.  But some uses of setjmp in the M3 libraries actually
use the contents of the setjmp buffer to get register contents for thread
switching, etc.

There is an assembly-coded special version of setjmp in the M3 code, dating
from many years back, that works with older longjmp, but not with the newest.
Tony committed a change that removes this version of setjmp. but I don't think
that fixes all the problems in all cases.

I think existing uses of setjmp have to be split into two categories:  those
that just use the result to pass back to longjmp, and those that use the result
for fetching registers.  Then different variants of setjmp have to be used in
the two cases.  Antony suggested getcontext/setcontext, but I guess there are
portability problems here?

I looked at this briefly, and there are a very large number of uses of setjmp
to check out.  I have thought about working on it, but have been busy with
other things for a while.

I never got -DPTHREAD working and ran out of time on that approach. As I recall,
-DPTHREAD is now the default, so I would guess Pino's installation is using it.

Olaf Wagner wrote:
> Is this the stack encryption problem again? Has anybody tried on
> Suse 10.1?
>
> Olaf
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Pino Zollo <pinozollo at gmail.com> -----

> From: Pino Zollo <pinozollo at gmail.com>
> To: m3-support at elego.de
> Subject: Installation Problem
> Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:00:50 -0400
>
> Dear Sirs,
> I have installed the last version of cm3 but I have the following problem:
>
> cm3 compiles all programs, but are correctly executed only the ones compiled
> with the option build_standalone().
> The programs which use shared libraries end in segmentation fault.
> Also the script do-cm3-std.sh fails to compile everything for the same
> problem: the program PklFonts in the directory
> m3-ui/juno-2/juno-app/pkl-fonts/LINUXLIBC6 ends in segmentation fault
> because needs shared libraries.
>
> Any suggestion ?
>
> I am using the distribution SuSE 10.1 with kernel 2.4.27
>
> In the installation I have found that the command "export" was not doing
> properly its job, so I had to put
> the path /usr/local/cm3/bin in /etc/profile. For libraries I did put the
> path in /etc/ld.so.conf
>
> I noticed that executables contain the string "/lib/ld-linux.so.2" so I had
> to make a symbolic link in /lib
> as "ln -s ld-2.4.so ld-linux.so.2" but nothing did change.
>
> I have also tried export "LD_POINTER_GUARD=0"  also without any change.
>
> I have done quite a lot on Modula-3 programming years ago when kernel was
> 1.2.13. I would like to make public my
> old sources under the GNU licence. For this reason I am willing to check
> them on the new version on m3.
>
> I am available for doing development in Modula-3 in the limits of my
> capabilities.
>
> My name is Pino Zollo and my e-mail is  pinozollo at gmail.com
> Some of my works are on http://www.qsl.net/zp4kfx  and a description of my
> profesional experience is on
> http://www.qsl.net/zp4kfx/CV
>
> Thanks for the attencion.
> Best regards
>
>   Pino
>

> ----- End forwarded message -----

Rodney M. Bates, retired assistant professor
Dept. of Computer Science, Wichita State University
Wichita, KS 67260-0083
316-978-3922
rodney.bates at wichita.edu