[M3devel] CM3 d5.5.0 CVSup client issues.

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Thu Aug 23 05:46:19 CEST 2007

These will need more precise diagnosis.

On Aug 22, 2007, at 11:28 PM, Alex Bochannek wrote:

> I am building CVSup with the new CM3 and after applying the usual
> patches plus the gettimeofday tz type patch, CVSup builds just fine on
> Solaris 10. For testing purposes I am trying to get the cm3 repository
> and am running into odd problems.
>
> o If I run the cvsup with the GUI, it shows up, I push the green arrow
>   and it immediately see "Cannot connect .... Error 0". I see a TCP
>   connection attempt, but it is being reset.
>
> o If I run it with -g -L 2, I get either:

What do these flags do?

The rest of your errors indicate something is terribly wrong with the
threading subsystem.

>   ***
>   *** runtime error:
>   ***    Thread client error: Acquire of mutex already locked by self
>   ***    file "ThreadPThread.m3", line 112
>   ***

This is a sanity check to make sure mutexes are not double-acquired.

>   which is not reproducible but happens every once in a while, or:
>
>   Updater failed: Cannot create directories leading to "/opt/cm3/
> cm3-cvs/sup/cm3/#cvs.cvsup-23065.0": Resource temporarily unavailable
>
>   for every single subdirectory it needs to create.
>
> o If I create the subdirectories manually, the copies will start and I
>   eventually run into errors like the following ones for different
>   files:
>
>   ***
>   *** runtime error:
>   ***    An enumeration or subrange value was out of range.
>   ***    file "../src/runtime/common/RTType.m3", line 71
>   ***

One question: did you completely rebuild all the libraries?

>   ***
>   *** runtime error:
>   ***    <*ASSERT*> failed.
>   ***    file "../src/runtime/common/RTCollector.m3", line 688
>   ***
>

>   ***
>   *** runtime error:
>   ***    <*ASSERT*> failed.
>   ***    file "../src/runtime/common/RTCollector.m3", line 688
>   ***

Something very broken.  Perhaps LockHeap is not functioning properly?

>   or
>
>   ***
>   *** runtime error:
>   ***    <*ASSERT*> failed.
>   ***    file "../src/FileStatus.m3", line 505
>   ***

Where is this module?

>   or
>
>   ***
>   *** runtime error:
>   ***    Segmentation violation - possible attempt to dereference NIL
>   ***    pc = 0x4619c8 = MyGetWideChars + 0x74 in ../src/text/
> TextSub.m3
>   ***
>
> None of this happens with the EZM3 CVSup. The reason I am trying to do
> all this, by the way is because I am looking at enhancing CVSup a
> little
> bit to get more information about repository structure and to also
> resolve some issues I have seen with checksum errors. Learning
> about the
> CM3 environment in the process is interesting as well, of course.

Hmm...  How do we proceed in debugging this?