[M3devel] cm3 on Windows, plus "Reactor" sources

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Mon Aug 27 03:55:36 CEST 2007

Hi Folks:

Sorry for my long absence on the M3 development front.  I've been
watching with great interest the flurry of activity regarding 64-bit
INTEGERS and the changes in the garbage collection, threading models,
etc.

I believe I am now in a position to begin doing a little more Modula-3
work from time to time.

My primary environment currently is Windows XP.  I have the old cm3
v4.1 system running on XP using Microsoft's free Visual Studio
environment for the linking and the C/C++ compilation.  My v4.1 system
works with Trestle, FormsVBT, pickles, network objects, etc.  It uses a
native Win32 backend, not the GCC backend.  I am able to deal with the
embedded spaces in filenames by forcing everything to use Microsoft's
short names for the non-8dot3 names (e.g., the names you get via the
"dir /X" command).

I have a number of multi-threaded programs I've developed over the
years on the Windows platform, so as the cm3 community moves forward I
will be happy to test the latest cm3 on the Windows XP platform using
some of my old programs as tests.  Most of the programs were developed
for specific clients and thus can't be shared with the community, but
they should provide a good set of test cases for the new cm3 because
I've had most of these same programs operating on a variety of
platforms, including Windows (98, NT, 2000, XP), HP-UX, and Solaris due
to the platform-independence provided by cm3.

I also have been working to make available the sources of Critical Mass
Inc.'s "Reactor" integrated development environment.  This environment
provided for browsing of package repositories & documentation, building
packages, running programs, creating new packages, etc. all from your
favorite web browser.

Due to various trademark concerns and legal issues, we can no longer
use the name "Reactor," so I've taken the liberty of renaming the
package "CM3-IDE."  (If someone has a better name suggestion, let me
know.)  I am very close to having all the legal and other requirements
worked out to make publication of the revised sources available to the
cm3 community.  I do need to test the revised sources using the latest
cm3 environment.

So, my immediate need is for a stable version of cm3 to run on Windows
XP so that I can test the new CM3-IDE.  Of course, CM3-IDE does work
with my v4.1 system, but I had to make changes for the new cm3 version
due to changes in TEXT, etc.  I tried using a v5.2.6 edition of cm3, but
ran into some problems with strange GUI behavior and problems with
m3bundles.

Since I have a stable v4.1 cm3 system, can I use it to bootstrap the
latest cm3 edition?  I would appreciate some guidance here on how to
obtain the latest stable sources and get a working system on Windows
XP.

Regards,
Randy Coleburn

Randy C. Coleburn, CISSP
Senior Systems Engineer, Communications, Networks, & Electronics
Division (CNE)
Corporate & Atlanta Information Systems Security Manager (ISSM)
Scientific Research Corporation
2300 Windy Ridge Parkway, Suite 400 South, Atlanta, Georgia 30339
voice: (770) 989-9464, email: RColeburn at SciRes.com, fax: (770)
989-9497

Quality Policy:  "SRC CNE Division is committed to delivering
continually improving research & engineering excellence that meets or
exceeds customer requirements."