[M3devel] platform names?

j k jayk123 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 27 09:19:52 CEST 2007

Anyone want to propose platform names?
Adopt a "system" where "OS", toolset, runtime, processor, and/or pointer size are clear, or just keep using short CAPS informal non-systematic names?

NT386Wat?
NT386WAT?? <== seems most likely given the current short informal CAPS non-systematic pattern
NT386WATCOM?
NT386Watcom?
NTx86Watcom?
Win32-x86-watcom?
win-x86-openwatom1.7?
NTAMD64? <== seems most likely given the current short informal CAPS non-systematic pattern
NTIA64?
win64-amd64-msc? (msc -- toolset and runtim, vs. say GNU or Watcom)
win-amd64-msc? (drop "64" in favor of architecture, leaving win-x86 ambiguous though -- win-286, win-386?)
win16?
win64? Or just win + architecture or nt + architecture?
 Way too ambiguous. There is IA64 and there was Alpha64.
Consider there is also Windows CE.
win-mips?
win-powerpc?
wince-powerpc?winnt-powerpc?
msnt-powerpc?
msce-powerpc?
msce-arm?

(msc -- "Microsoft C" -- toolset and runtime)

I am not suggesting developering support for any of these mind you.

Which reminds me -- most of the architectures are dead. Should they be deleted? Resusicated? Resusicated if gcc supports them? Do nothing?
I know I know, 64 bit integer support on NT386 is the most important thing to do right now.