[M3devel] A strange link time warning using cm3

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Aug 17 09:54:42 CEST 2007

On Thu, August 16, 2007 23:19, Rodney M. Bates wrote:
> When linking a program of my own, using cm3 from the cvs head, I get this
> warning:
>   -> linking LdlBatch
> /usr/local/cm3/pkg/ui/LINUXLIBC6/libm3ui.a(TrestleOS.mo)(.text+0x177): In
> function
> `TrestleOS__UserName':
> /home/rodney/proj/m3/cm3-fresh/cm3/m3-ui/ui/LINUXLIBC6/TrestleOS.m3:32:
> warning: Using 'getpwuid' in
> statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from
> the glibc version used
> for linking
>
> And a few more just like it.  This doesn't make any sense to me.  If a
> "statically
> linked application" is what it says it is, why would it require at runtime,
> any shared library at all, let alone a specific version?

As Roland Illig already pointed out, modern operating systems don't
really support traditional static linking if you are using certain
functionality (which accidentally is needed by almost all programs ;-).

Nonetheless the warnings you get point to a problem with the CM3
setup: those libraries that need to be plugged-in by the OS must not
be linked statically. In cm3.cfg the set up system libraries should
be separated into those that need dynamic linking and others.
All system libraries that need dynamic linking should be linked this
way, regardless of the cm3 arguments. This way `statically linked'
refers only to the CM3 libraries and not to the -- always available --
operating system libraries, and can still be a help for delivering
independent programs written in M3.

Stefan, I thought we had resolved this issue at least for Linux and
Solaris setups with the last release. Did we miss something?

Olaf