[M3devel] A strange link time warning using cm3

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Sat Aug 18 11:52:52 CEST 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 10:58:17AM -0500, Rodney M. Bates wrote:
> I usually just manually edit my old cm3.cfg files, because I usually
> have to merge my local library locations, etc.  And I haven't done a
> cminstall in a while.  So I don't have the official version.
>
> Right now, I have none of the libraries dynamically linked.  I just
> didn't realize there were some of them that would not work on.
>
> From my cm3.cfg on the machine where I got the quoted message
> (running Linux Mandrake 10.2):

> SYSTEM_LIBS = {
>   "LIBC"       : [ "-lm" ],
> % "LEX-YACC"   : [ "-L/usr/lib", "-ll" ], %-- not on most Linux platforms
>   "FLEX-BISON" : [ "-L/usr/lib", "-lfl" ],
>   "POSTGRES95" : [ "-L/usr/local/postgres95/lib", "-lpq" ],
>   "OPENGL"     : [ "-L/usr/lib", "-lGLU", "-lGL", "-lXext" ],
>   "MOTIF"      : [ "-L/usr/X11R6/lib", "-lXm" ],
>   "X11"        : [ "-L/usr/X11R6/lib", "-lXaw", "-lXmu", "-lXext",
>                         "-lXt", "-lSM", "-lICE", "-lX11" ],
>   "PTHREAD"    : [ "-L/usr/lib", "-lpthread" ],
>   "TCP"        : [ ]
> }

OK, so you're just missing the dynamic hints in the linker setup.
Could you please verify that that's all and we've found everything
that needs to be linker dynamically unconditionally?

> Even so, the warning only happens when I compile a program with
> build_standalone ( ) in the m3makefile.

The default has long been to link dynamically; build_standalone
should switch to static linking wherever possible.

> I guess I'll put back the -Xlinker -Bdynamic in the libraries that
> Stefan's diff shows.  Will this change anything other than getting
> rid of the warning message?

I hope not.

> <comment>
> After I read about dynamic linking in the 60's on the Multics system,
> I always thought it was a great idea.  After decades of waiting, I gave
> up ever seeing it in anything but a research OS.  Now that it has become
> universal, I have often wondered if we would be better to put that genie
> back in the bottle.  Library version skew, when moving from machine to
> machine can be a nightmare, even when your OS does allow multiple versions
> to be installed simultaneously.  But at least, I thought, the option to do
> full static linking was still there, for those who chose it.  So it is a
> bit of a shock to learn that that option is now gone.
> </comment>

I'm with you there; I experienced the same feeling some years
ago :-/

Olaf