[M3devel] Couple of CM3 build comments (Solaris/SPARC).

Stefan Sperling stsp at elego.de
Thu Aug 16 16:08:12 CEST 2007

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 02:54:34PM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> Then I don't understand why the version Alex Bochannek got from
> our installation archives needed libiconv.so.2. Any idea?

Because m3-sys/m3cc/gcc/gcc/configure.ac depends on it
unconditionally. The following is in global scope:

  AM_ICONV
  # Until we have in-tree GNU iconv:
  LIBICONV_DEP=
  AC_SUBST(LIBICONV_DEP)

So I guess the configure script always picks up libiconv
if it is present. I'll try to remove the check for libiconv
to see if the backend builds without it.

The script even bothers to filter out possible multiple occurences of -liconv
if --enable-nls is passed (i.e. gcc if is linked to libintl):

  # If LIBINTL contains LIBICONV, then clear LIBICONV so we don't get
  # -liconv on the link line twice.
  case "$LIBINTL" in *$LIBICONV*)
          LIBICONV= ;;
  esac

The non-iconv case is clearly not intended by the authors
of configure.ac...

Also, I just checked the cm3cg binary on FreeBSD, it also depends
on libiconv, which is not in the base system on FreeBSD either:

% ldd /usr/local/cm3/bin/cm3cg
/usr/local/cm3/bin/cm3cg:
        libiconv.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.3 (0x28474000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x28561000)

--
stefan
http://stsp.name                                         PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0