[M3devel] returning record by value vs. by ref?

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Dec 1 14:15:47 CET 2007

This is a language question based on the x86 code gen.It isn't a code gen question at all, just related to m3 constructs the code gen happens to use.
The code gen has a stack of operands, I've said many times.
This is partly made up.
 type loc_t = [ imm, reg, mvar ] (* location: variable in memory, register, immediate/constant  *)   type reg_t = [ eax, esi, edi, ...]  (* register *)
  type operand_t = record    loc : loc_t;     reg : reg_t;     imm : integer; (* immediate or constant *)     (* some data associated with mvar... *)  end;
The type is a bit bigger than this, and that is relevant.
interface stack allows access both to entire operands, or their fields, based on an index into the stack.
The stack is not fixed size. I think this becomes important.
 Pardon my mix of M3, C, C++ and made up syntax.
 interface and module stack;
 private s: array of operand;
 procedure getloc(n: integer) : loc_t =   begin    return s[n].loc;  end getloc;
 procedure getimm(n: integer) : INTEGER =   begin    return s[n].imm;  end getimm;
 procedure getreg(n: integer) : reg_t =   begin    return s[n].reg;  end getreg;
 procedure getop(n: integer) : operand_t = (* get entire operand *)  begin    return s[n];  end getop;
 A cursory read of the source code, not yet of the object code, from the point of view of a C/C++ programmersays to me that this last function getop returns a copy of an entire record. Again, the record is a bit largerthan this. I made it still larger, and I started getting warnings about that.
 What I would really like is for getop to return the operands by pointer.
 procedure getop(n: integer) : REF operand_t = (* get entire operand *)  begin    return s[n];  end getop;
 From my point of view, this is very natural. And far more efficient.  But I couldn't get anything to compile along these lines.
 Now, as I said, the stack does grow sometimes, so the array could get realloced, and outstanding  pointers invalidated. I guess that is the point? You can't "safely" get a pointer?  I could make it an array of REFs I guess, heap-fragmentation-unfriendly, but given that it grows  rarely, probably ok.
I guess maybe gcc does a good job with this stuff? Optimzing away the copies, inlining the array access, etc.?
 Thoughts?  One just needs to get over worrying about the perf at this level for one's sanity  to survive programming in Modula-3?
 Safe languages are simply stuck with either a lot of garbage collected separate heap allocations  or a lot of copying? Pointers as I think about them exude "danger" all over the place?  (Yes, I know that "safely" and "danger" are technical terms and I know what they mean,  at least roughly, no dangling pointers to stack, no double frees, no unbounded  array access, no unchecked type conversions, the system remains type safe and  the rules of the language remain unbroken, however I live and breathe C/C++ so it  is hard to adjust my mindset, even if I understand the issues fairly deeply.)
 The problem one runs into, is that of the pretty darn good C and C++ programmers who, whilenot perfect, are pretty darn good. A "safe" language throws you to quite an extremeof perf compromise to nail the last little bit of guaranteed safety, when you really weren't doing sucha bad job in the first place through brute force of careful coding.. You pay a lot for a little.Lesser programmers, sure, they need the hand holding...
I've been experimenting lately, and C just isn't actually all that bad.Ok, actually most recently I'm writing more Perl, also not bad.See, there's another extreme. Traditional and semi-traditional languageand compilation systems like C and Modula-3 and even Java and C# actuallyobsess far more about performance than many many problems need.Perl (Python, Ruby presumably, but Perl is the only one available to me,that has cleared legal/licensing hurdles) is plenty adequate for tons of tasks.If my task requires some i/o, then i/o cost might dominate the overall perf cost...
I realize I'm all over the place here, arguing for and against optimizing.
I don't like Perl's funny characters, or lack of a standard OO approach,(using hash tables for everything really is bad..) but it's still surprisingly good.I noticed some job descriptions lately for Perl programmers that specificallysaid they were not "scripting" jobs but, like, real industrial strength software engineering.I think those people get it.You get to a certain point of general purposeness and performance and hopefullystatic checking, and a lot things don't matter as much as people think....
Anyway. - Jay