[M3devel] Using REFANYs to store integers?

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Tue Dec 11 00:33:44 CET 2007

Well, come to think of it... I'm not sure I can even do my own GC.
The idea is that the interpreter I am working on would have more
or less unrestricted access to the M3 environment, anyhow, and that
many of the objects on its stacks will be plain old M3 objects,
which will be handled as opaque handles by the interpreter.  In
other words, I'd have to have and worry about two garbage collectors
(M3 + interpreter) if I follow your suggestion.  I was really hoping
to avoid that.  I was also hoping to use your excellent garbage
collector rather than having to worry about that too, in addition
to all the other issues that come up in coding bytecode compilers,
interpreters, with all the other runtime support etc etc.

Since I clearly have to support versions of M3 that don't appreciate
the LSB hack I am just going to have to be able to represent small
integers as something along the lines of

   TYPE SmallInteger = OBJECT v : INTEGER END

anyhow.  This is not a problem, it's just going to be slow, since
I anticipate that most of the work done by the interpreter will be
manipulating small integers (array indices, etc.)  Tony, don't
worry, I'm not going to give you (much of) a hard time if you come
up with a beautiful garbage collector that's incompatible with my
"nasty hack"!

In any case, I am just thinking aloud (awrite?) and you gentlemen
have fully satisfied my curiosity with your answers to my questions.
Thanks!

     Mika

>>> rodney.bates at wichita.edu