[M3devel] Providing some current CM3 bootstrap archives, was: Re: m3cg build failure on powerpc/darwin

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Tue Dec 18 14:52:15 CET 2007

Quoting Mika Nystrom <mika at async.caltech.edu>:

> Hi Olaf,
>
> I'm sorry to say there is a bit of a problem with your bootstrap for
> FreeBSD.  FreeBSD is beautifully *backward*-compatible, but it's not
> *forward*-compatible (it may be within a major release, but it's not
> generally forward-compatible across major releases).  The distribution
> you built on 6.3-PRERELEASE will work for sure on 6.x (x>=3), may work
> on 6.x (x<3), and will almost certainly not work on y.x (y<6).  To
> remedy this I built a bootstrap on 4.11.  It is located at
>
> http://www.async.caltech.edu/~mika/cm3-min-POSIX-FreeBSD4-d5.5.0.tgz
>
> This compiler should work on pretty much any FreeBSD 4.x, 5.x, and
> possibly also 6.x.

I was afraid that there is no forward compatibility. So it's
great that we've got a 4.11 build, I'll add it to our site this evening.
I don't think anybody will still use any older versions.

> I have to say that it was a bit of an ordeal.  I had problems from
> an old cm3.cfg (mine just never seems to get upgraded right), with
> -g instead of -gstabs+.  I also had two sets of problems stemming
> from LONGINT: first, of course, my old compiler didn't know what
> LONGINT was so I searched through my email and indeed I found
> something from Tony referring to building a bootstrap on NT386 from
> which I could infer what to do: one has to check out a "mixed"
> repository mixing the "devel_LONGINT_start" tagged sources with the
> CVS head.  The problems with Int64.i3 and Long.m3 that I think we've
> seen on other platforms reared their ugly heads here too (although
> these may have been due to my -g issues, i.e., not having an
> up-to-date back-end?)
>
> In short, in order to build a bootstrap from a pre-LONGINT compiler
> at the moment, you have to be an expert at this, pretty much, you
> have to remember approximately where in the mailing list archive
> the answers are, and I would say it's a good chance that 100% of
> the scripts that purport to be able to do things like bootstrap
> cm3, well, they don't work at all.  I don't even want to think about
> bootstrapping CM3 with PM3 or SRC M3...(I think there are systems
> for which some of those are all that's available?)

I thought that the upgrade.sh script would take care of the
pre-LONGINT / LONGINT transition, at least it worked for me
on FreeBSD. At least if you start with a 5.4 release CM3.

Outdated config files are of course always nasty; FreeBSD itself
has complex support in form of the mergemaster utilty for its
own upgrades for these problems. I'm afraid we'll not easily reach
this level in CM3.

The bootstrap scripts for CM3 with PM3 or even SRC M3 are from the
beginning of the open source CM3 distribution; they did work at
some point in time, but have not been used since. Perhaps they should
rather be deleted or moved to an old-stuff directory.

Sorry for all the inconveniences, but you seem to have coped well ;-)

Thank you very much,

Olaf