[M3devel] PPC_DARWIN problems, at least config/5.2.6, maybe all moot

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Tue Dec 25 17:26:33 CET 2007

On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 11:02:59AM -0500, Tony Hosking wrote:
> On Dec 25, 2007, at 7:09 AM, Jay wrote:
> >jbook:/dev2/j/m3 jay$ otool -L PPC_DARWIN/prog
> >PPC_DARWIN/prog:
> >        /var/tmp/cm3/lib/libm3.5.2.dylib (compatibility version
> >5.0.0, current version 5.2.0)
> >        /Users/wagner/local/cm3/lib/libm3core.5.2.dylib
> >(compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.2.0)
> >        /Users/wagner/local/cm3/lib/libm3gcdefs.5.2.dylib
> >(compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.2.0)
> >        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
> >current version 88.1.10)
> >        /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
> >current version 1.0.0)
> >
> >jbook:/dev2/j/m3 jay$ ls -l PPC_DARWIN/prog
> >-rwxr-xr-x   1 jay  admin  20264 Dec 25 04:43 PPC_DARWIN/prog
> >
> >At the temporary cost of giving up dynamic linking, you can fix
> >this by removing M3_SPLIT_LIBNAMES_IF_SHARED
> >and/or M3_SPLIT_LIBNAMES from cm3.cfg, yielding:
>
> Dynamic linking works fine for me.

For me, too.

> >And, um, does everyone understand what I did with Win32 and making
> >cminstall obsolete?
> >Ok to do the same on Mac OS X?
>
> Please don't.  I would prefer to keep the OS X install the same as
> for other Unix/POSIX platforms, if only because it means less
> splitting of the code base.

I'd second this. I'd rather have a more intelligent cminstall,
which tries to figure out all the information for itself, and then
presents the user with a standard setup and directions how to
solve any remaining problems. And this way we don't have to bother
with more more scripting languages, too.

> Why not just hardcode the cminstall config file so it doesn't ask
> questions except were absolutely necessary.

This would be another approach to making things simpler. We can
try both ways at once, though.

> >The only thing the user really  needs to decide is where to install
> >to, and
> >the cfg file can discover their choice without any editing.
>
> Indeed.

I wouldn't like to remove any flexibility there is, as in my
experience, it will be needed once it has been removed. Perhaps
I'll have a try at making cminstall better during the next weeks.
The main problem with installation issues is, that one needs access
to all relevant target platforms to check things and test them, and
that it takes much time to do this ;-)

Olaf