[M3devel] asm/ipc.h not present on ubuntu 6.10

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.in-berlin.de
Tue Feb 6 19:11:21 CET 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 05:13:43PM +0100, Olaf Wagner wrote:

> On Tue, February 6, 2007 4:39 pm, Daniel Alejandro Benavides D. wrote:
> > Hi:
> > Im compiling all the system and I got this error
> >
> > On the file
> > cm3/m3-libs/m3gc-simple/src/runtime/LINUXLIBC6
> > the line 19 has the following include:
> >
> > #if __GLIBC__ >= 2 && __GLIBC_MINOR__ >= 1
> > #include <asm/ipc.h>
> > #endif
> >
> > Is there a problem changing the include to
> > #include <asm-generic/ipc.h>   ?

Yes.

> > This kernel is 2.6.17-10-generic

The -generic in that version number has nothing to do with
include/asm-generic. It is a custom string added by the Ubuntu
developers to identify which kernel variant is running.
See the CONFIG_LOCALVERSION kernel configuration option.

The include/asm-generic directory is used for platform
independent parts the assembler code in Linux relies on
(constant definitions, common macros, etc.)

The asm/ include directory is usually a symlink, and
does not exist in a freshly extracted linux source tree.

For example, this is from the source tree of a build of
Linux for the ARM architecture:

  [stsp at ted ~/dslinux/src/linux-2.6.x/include]$ ls -l asm
  lrwxr-xr-x  1 stsp  stsp     7B 22 Dec 12:07 asm@ -> asm-arm

Note that asm/ipc.h includes asm-generic/ipc.h:

  [stsp at ted ~/dslinux/src/linux-2.6.x/include]$ grep asm-generic/ipc.h asm/ipc.h
  #include <asm-generic/ipc.h>

> If this is the location the file has moved to it is certainly correct
> at least for your workspace. Before you check-in such a change, you
> should add an appropriate version check of course, or other people
> using other Linux versions will have similar problems as you.

I think the problem is somewhere else.

Daniel, are you sure you have a kernel source or kernel headers
package for your architecture installed on your Ubuntu system?

--
stefan
http://stsp.in-berlin.de                                 PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0