[M3devel] Modula-3 on Windows and the C runtime?

j k jayk123 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 21 05:18:38 CET 2007

There are some issues with the C runtime on Windows.
I don't have all the information but some.
For example is msvcr80.dll redistributable?
By folks only with a non-Express Edition?
Install it next to every .exe or centrally?
  Using an .msi or the .exe that Microsoft provides?

Do folks mind a solution where any use/install of Modula-3
first requires a quick free download/install from Microsoft?
This is the easiest option and work well, except for the next point:

Like even possibly cminstall.exe will fail with a cryptic
  error if the download/install isn't first done?

Do folks mind using the static C runtime? That seems not good.
It causes bloat and Microsoft can no longer bug-fix it.

Are folks interested in eliminating the C runtime dependency?
  It is not super difficult but also not super trivial.
  Compiler intrinsics get you most of the functions including
    most/all of the floating point (not sure yet about ldexp), memcmp,
memcpy.
    At least with the 8.0 compiler. I haven't experimented as much here
    with older compilers.
  setjmp is tricky. setjmp could/should be eliminated imho
  in favor of using the "structured exception handling"
  which is documented enough, but not trivial.

The download in question is:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE

This is what is holding me back from making a "release" available.