[M3devel] More CVS advice needed, on merging

Olaf Wagner wagner at plane.elego.de
Tue Jan 16 08:51:48 CET 2007

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 03:21:36PM -0600, Rodney M. Bates wrote:
> Because the changes in the repository were so extensive, the merged
> version was a long way from being useful.  I was quite difficult to
> reconstruct what I had changed.  I eventually located files on a
> mirrored computer that helped, though not the modified file I really
> would have liked.
>
> So, is there a way to get CVS to either
> 1) make a backup of a local copy when it merges it with updates from
>    the repository, or
> 2) do an update but refuse altogether to merge.

If CVS merges in your workspace, the old versions should always
be available. Look for files named .#<fn>.<rev>. The problem
is that ls will show them only with option -a.

You can also always update to the original base version of your
file (if you know it).

Olaf
--
elego Software Solutions GmbH                           HRB 77719
Olaf Wagner                            E-Mail: wagner(at)elego.de