[M3devel] User-level threading

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Wed Jul 4 22:25:16 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 04:12:47PM -0400, Tony Hosking wrote:
> In looking at things again, I am more and more convinced that
> ThreadPosix should be implemented against the standard API for
> makecontext/getcontext/setcontext/swapcontext.  Platforms that do not
> provide these will need to provide an equivalent implementation of
> these routines, similar to what you suggest.  Right now, I know all of
> SOLgnu, I386_DARWIN, LINUXLIBC6, FreeBSD should have the necessary
> support.

I think a `standard' implementation using makecontext/getcontext/...
would be the best. For those platforms that do not support that,
we can still use a C or assembler implementation.

I would strongly vote for keeping user-level threading, too.

Olaf
--
Olaf Wagner -- elego Software Solutions GmbH, Ohmstr. 9, 10179 Berlin, Germany
phone: +49 30 23 45 86 96  mobile: +49 177 23 45 869  fax: +49 30 23 45 86 95