[M3devel] [Fwd: Re: A nonnative 64-bit language proposal]

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Thu Jul 19 19:34:13 CEST 2007

Tony Hosking wrote:
> My LONGINT implementation addresses many of your concerns.  The  LONGINT
> space is segregated from the INT space.  I want to come up  with an
> implementation that also permits ordinals based on LONGINT in  addition
> to the current system of ordinals based on INTEGER.  This  requires
> revisiting the language spec and pushing through the  implications.  I'm
> going to look at that briefly before moving on to  fixing user-level
> threading for all targets.

By "ordinals", do you mean enumerations?  Subranges?.  In the language
definition, ordinals refers to both the above, plus INTEGER, with CHAR and
BOOLEAN being enumerations.

It is hard to image a use for enumerations with more than 2^32 values.
As I recall, I was thinking this would add quite a bit of complexity to
the language for negligible benefit.

Subranges of LONGINT seem entirely useful and make for consistency.
 From a language definition standpoint, I think these just about fall
into place with very little change.

Rodney M. Bates, retired assistant professor
Dept. of Computer Science, Wichita State University
Wichita, KS 67260-0083
316-978-3922
rodney.bates at wichita.edu