[M3devel] Pathname.Legal

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Sun Oct 14 13:11:49 CEST 2007

Since the language itself specifies that program variables of type
CHAR are in ISO Latin-1, not just ASCII, I think extending compilers,
etc., to handle those characters makes complete sense, without even
needing to view it as support for unicode or differing locales.

Do I understand correctly that Neels' patch extends just to ISO Latin-1?

Stefan Sperling wrote:

> How does CM3 handle locales?
>
> Is there a way to access locales (and similar facitilies
> on non-UNIXish systems) from Modula3 to determine characters
> the system consideres legal in filenames? At least those
> encoded in ISO8859* ?
>

> What happens now if you try to use a filename that is
> UTF-8 encoded and contains a character that spans more than one byte?
>
> Maybe the restriction to ASCII was made on purpose to protect
> users from CM3's non-existent unicode support?

Rodney M. Bates, retired assistant professor
Dept. of Computer Science, Wichita State University
Wichita, KS 67260-0083
316-978-3922
rodney.bates at wichita.edu