[M3devel] Pathname.Legal

Neels Janosch Hofmeyr neels at elego.de
Tue Oct 16 23:44:19 CEST 2007

Rodney M. Bates wrote:
> Since the language itself specifies that program variables of type
> CHAR are in ISO Latin-1, not just ASCII, I think extending compilers,
> etc., to handle those characters makes complete sense, without even
> needing to view it as support for unicode or differing locales.
>
> Do I understand correctly that Neels' patch extends just to ISO Latin-1?

Well, the fix allows more characters. It does in no way change datatype
bitwidth, any conversion or any other behavior at all. It's just an
abort condition which is made more lenient, so that it allows all CHAR
characters in a Pathname.T (which is a TEXT). *If* CHAR represents ISO
Latin-1, then the fix extends the range of allowed characters to ISO
Latin-1 only.

Do you know more about this? I can only guess. Olaf Wagner guessed it's
fine to submit the fix. I encountered no problems using it with large
numbers of filenames.
Can you think of anything that might be a problem when allowing all
CHARs in a file name?

Regards!
Neels

--
Neels Janosch Hofmeyr
Software Developer

neels at elego.de
Public Key: http://binarchy.net/neels/neels.hofmeyr.public.key.asc

elego Software Solutions GmbH           http://www.elegosoft.com
Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Gebäude 12       HRB 77719
13355 Berlin, Germany                   Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Tel.: +49 30 23 45 86 96                Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Fax:  +49 30 23 45 86 95                Geschäftsführer: Olaf Wagner