[M3devel] set relationships?

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 7 02:38:01 CEST 2008

I'm looking at test p1\p155.
I haven't started debugging it, just trying to understand it.

C:\dev2\cm3\doc\reference\relations.html:
"
     infix    <=, >=  ...
(x,y: Set)     : BOOLEAN

... <= returns TRUE if every element of x is an element of y.
The expression x >= y is equivalent to y <= x.
In all cases, x < y means (x <= y) AND (x # y), and x > y means y < x
"

Let's just use the sets {1} and {2}.

  {1} <= {2}
  {2} <= {1}
  {1} < {2}
  {2} < {1}
  {1} > {2}
  {2} > {1}

All these expressions are true from the definitions above.
Is that reasonable?
It seems a little strange to me.

I guess I am very used to strongly ordered things, such that a <= b && a => b implies a == b, not true here, and you can't have both a < b and b < a, which you have here, and that (a < b) == !(a >= b) and similar, which is not true here. In this case, every relation but equality is true.