[M3devel] trouble installing on a Debian lenny system.

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Apr 7 12:03:50 CEST 2008

Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:

> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 11:29:48AM -0400, Tony Hosking wrote:
>> You should have a link from libXaw.so, etc.
>
> It turns out that link was in the package libXaw7-dev, which was missing
> on both my 64- and 32-bit systems.

This sounds broken to me.

M3 has been changed some time ago to look for shared objects instead of
archives, as the latter are often not installed on modern systems, but
come only as part of development packages.

But there must be a simple unique name for the resource; we cannot
per default refer to libXaw.so.7.0 or similar, since this would
need more updates and maintenance and would break if another version
is actually installed.

So I don't see a reason for this kind of link to be in the development
packages. Should we report this as a bug?

Olaf