[M3devel] new cm3 backend dependencies

Ronny Forberger ronny.forberger at elegosoft.com
Tue Apr 15 13:31:29 CEST 2008

--
Message from: Olaf Wagner <wagner at elegosoft.com>
Date: Di 15 Apr 2008 13:05:31 CEST
Subject: Re: new cm3 backend dependencies

> Quoting Ronny Forberger <ronny.forberger at elegosoft.com>:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> on birch.elego.de (LINUXLIBC6) there is GMP 4.2.1 on the package
>> management system, which I installed.
>>
>> Also there is MPFR but only at version <2.3.0, this is why I installed
>> MPFR 2.3.0 under the prefix /usr/local. I guess cm3 will automatically
>> find the libs there.
>>
>> On new.elego.de (FreeBSD4) there was libgmp-4.2.1_1 already installed
>> under /usr/local.
>>
>> MPFR was too old there too, so I installed 2.3.0 manually to
>> /usr/contrib. I guess cm3 needs to be told to use libs residing under
>> /usr/contrib ?
>
> Probably. Doesn't the FreeBSD ports system provide an update?

Only with a later release tag (RELASE_6_3_0), you know I won't upgrade
ports on a productive system apart from upgrading the base system as
this can cause tremendous problems and might break other things
running on the machine.

> If you can build it manually, perhaps it is sufficient to just
> increase the version numbers in the port and send the patch
> to a FreeBSD committer / the port maintainer?

It has been built, but the next FreeBSD release and higher cope it
anyways. I think it's better to some day upgrade new.elego.de to
FreeBSD 7 in order to have more current package versions.

But we could probably move the FreeBSD-targeted cm3 regression tests
from new.elego.de to willow.elego.de, which can be more easily
upgraded to FreeBSD 7. Stupidly this would cause trouble in the
tinderbox view, when a new hostname would appear.

Cheers,

Ronny

Tel. +49 30 23 45 86 96      ronny.forberger at elegosoft.com